Sunday, December 7, 2008

Princesses

Princess

This is a fascinating little word that sparks the imaginations of females of all ages. From ball gowns, to glass slippers, to poisoned apples, to spinning needles, and of course to the handsome prince we all have ideas about being princesses. However, there are many interpretations of the word and not all of them are positive. Along with all of the fantasy you have a state of helplessness; she always depends on a prince to save her. This word is complex and I never tire from analyzing it. I find it quite interesting and cannot get away from it. This concept has infiltrated media in every form, but why is it so intriguing? I wish I had a straightforward answer to that question, but alas, I do not. However, here are my random observations and thoughts on the topic and reasons why I believe females are captivated by this word.


1) Princesses are beautiful. Princesses are what I would call the epitome of beauty. In both literature and movies the princesses are always some of the most gorgeous girls you can find. They might not always be the best looking, but they are always the most beautiful. They possess patience, love, as well as hair that is never anything less than perfect. Their beauty extends far below the surface and is apparent to all those who come into contact with them. This is the desire of every female that I know of. While they may not all be searching for the same form of beauty, they all desire to be called beautiful. It is an inherent longing and I believe it is one of the biggest reasons why they are fascinated with the concept of princesses.


2) Princesses are always part of an adventure. Okay, so in every princess story something happens to our lovely protagonists. This adventure comes in all sizes, shapes, and forms. Their lives are shaken and they set out on a perilous journey. I know that adventure is something I long for, and I know that many other females long for adventure too. Yeah, some of us may say that we don’t want our lives shaken, but honestly, we do. A flat and boring life has no appeal and we are always looking for something new, fresh, and exciting. I just pray that my adventure does not come in the form of a poisoned apple…


3) Princesses always get the man of their dreams. Generally our leading ladies need to be rescued from their adventures and who does this? Prince Charming. Now if I may go on a side tangent here, I am going to be honest and say I feel sorry for the “Prince Charmings” in these stories. Prince Charming generally is a flat character who is handsome and would do anything for his princess. Besides having a great smile, that’s about it for Prince Charming; he simply is just charming. Poor guy… Anyway, I think that each little girl (and yes, I am a little girl at heart) just wants her own happy ever after with her prince. Someone who is extremely loving and is perfectly compatible with his princess. I once had a guy friend remark to me that “When I find the right girl, she will be my princess and I will want to treat her as such.” At first glance I thought that was a cheesy statement, but I could see the sincerity in his heart and realized that is probably one of the sweetest statements I have ever heard. We want to be cherished and appreciated which is the end result for every princess.


I am sure there are more reasons, but I am not thinking of them right now. These are the main ones that I have and I would love to hear any thoughts and comments you may have. I do know many real life princesses and am very blessed to have them in my life. But before I end this note I have to remark that Cinderella is the best princess. Know you may be sitting there asking yourself why I would say this, and my answer is simple, she had amazing shoes. That’s all… Now I must be off to cook and clean while singing… I think that is a requirement for the princess lifestyle I am trying to implement in my life. (And yes, Snow White would sing My Chemical Romance if she lived in this time period.)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

ASHLEY! since when have you had a blog! and why didn't I know!!!?!?!